Monday, June 16, 2008

Let There Be Light, Part II

The movie starts, and to my surprise it's the sequel to American Job, called: American Job Two: A Nightmare on Elm Street. I wondered about how much sense that title made, but I didn't have time to ponder it because I was instantly thrust into a real-time cinematic version of my current job! There I was, up there on the screen, along with my co-workers; it was as if a day of my job was filmed with a hidden camera!

The audience immediately was wincing and fidgeting, suspecting that we might be in for a bit of endurance cinema, i.e., a faithful depiction of the eight hour work day. Boy, this movie was slow! I mean it was so slow it was rated NC17 for "language and slowness." Every once in awhile someone would come into the scene, one of my coworkers, and yell at me, and that seemed to sustain the audience for awhile.

Before long the people around me, my coworkers, started leaving in a huff. I suppose they were offended or freaked out by it, and I guess I don't blame them. Soon after that, other members of the audience started slipping out one by one until the theater started to seem more empty than full. I noticed that bastard Modine sneak out as well, trying to hide behind a bucket of popcorn. "Good luck at the center of the earth!" I hissed at him, knowing how much he hates it when people mix him up with Brendan Fraser.

By the time the movie was over there were only THREE people left, and I was one of them. Peter had also stayed, and he nodded to me solemnly, saying only, "Great movie." I believed that he really did like it, though I didn't believe he hadn't noticed that the theater had emptied. The third survivor was my old film professor, Richard Meyers. He simply nodded to me in approval.

Richard, Peter, and I went out for tacos then at a little place nearby. To our surprise, we were waited on by James Broughton, who was dressed like a ventriloquist dummy; you know, with vertical black lines drawn on the sides of his mouth. By then I was hungry, but Meyers told me I'd never taste those tacos. "That's how you know you're in a dream," he said.

No comments: